Chad Reed stalls to 6th in mud
A race victory at the Daytona 2008 Round 10 of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series, has eluded Supercross star Chad Reed after his bike stalled in the extremely wet conditions.
A race victory at the Daytona 2008 Round 10 of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series, an FIM World Championship, has eluded Australian Supercross star Chad Reed after his bike stalled in the extremely wet and boggy conditions with only four corners remaining in the race.
While event organisers did debate postponing the race due to the treacherous conditions, the decision was made to race a shortened 12 lap Main Event. Reed led the race from the start and held a commanding lead of over a minute before his Yamaha YZ450F stalled. As he had lapped all but five riders Reed was declared a finisher and claimed sixth position
They were the worst track conditions we have raced on,’ said Reed. ’It was so wet we should have been on jetskis instead of bikes," he joked. ’While it was very disappointing not to take the win I was stoked with my own performance." I finished my heat 44 seconds in front and was over a minute ahead of everyone else in the Main Event." It was frustrating not to convert such a big lead and over 3 seconds advantage per lap into a win, but I am pleased because I know I rode well in the conditions."
Reed’s closest championship challenger Kevin Windham won the race, but the Aussie still has a 24-point lead in the series. The next round of the championship will be held in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series ’Äì Round 10 Daytona International Speedway
1. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss, Honda, 25
2. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, GA, Honda, 22
3. Jacob Marsack, Berlin, MI, Honda, 20
4. David Vuillemin, Murrieta, CA., Suzuki, 18
5. Antonio Balbi, Riverside, CA, Honda, 16
6. Chad Reed, Tampa, FL., Yamaha, 15
7. Heath Voss, Mico, TX, Honda, 14
8. Andrew Short, Smithville, TX., Honda, 13
9.Eric Sorby, Lake Elsinore, CA, Honda, 12
10. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, MN, Suzuki, 11
2008 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fl, Yamaha, 224
2. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 200
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, TX, Honda, 154
4. Davi Millsaps, Cairo, GA., Honda, 149
5. Tim Ferry, Largo, FL., Kawasaki, 137
6. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, CA., Yamaha, 123
7. Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, OR, Yamaha, 110
8. David Vuillemin, Murrieta, CA., Suzuki, 102
9. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM, 89
10. Paul Carpenter, Ithaca, NY, Honda, 87