Chad Reed wins in Indy
Australia’s Chad Reed has achieved yet another career milestone, moving to third on the all time Supercross podium finishers list after a dominating win at the Indianapolis round of 2008 Monster Energy AMA Supercross.
As the chequered flag fell for the final time at the RCA Dome, Australia’s Chad Reed achieved yet another career milestone, moving to third on the all time Supercross podium finishers list after a dominating win at the ninth round of 2008 Monster Energy® AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship.
While he has always graced the podium at the Indianapolis event, this victory was Reed’s maiden Supercross class win at the renowned venue and ironically it was on a track that he had designed himself.
Determined to redress his sixth placing in Atlanta last week, Reed won his heat race and then went on dominate the Main Event from start to finish. The Australian claimed the all important holeshot then consistently lapped two seconds quicker than any other rider over the first four laps to establish a substantial gap to the rest of the field. At the completion of the 20-lap race Reed was over 10 seconds clear of second placed Josh Hill and acknowledged he was back on his game.
“I am so happy to get this win,” said Reed. “I just wanted to get back out there and get on top again after the last two rounds. I am not 100% at the moment and I couldn’t ride at all this week. I just had to rehab. In practice I focused on getting to know the characteristics of the track but I had a good feeling and went out and raced hard and got it down.
"Everything gelled tonight, it was exciting to come and enjoy the racing. It was also great to finally win a Supercross Main Event at this venue which was where I won my first lites race,” Reed added.
Reed now holds a comfortable 34 point lead over Kevin Windham in the Monster Energy® AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship which heads to the Daytona International Speedway on Friday March 7 where Round 10 of the series will feature in the famous Daytona 200 week.
2008 AMA Supercross Class Results, Indianapolis
- Chad Reed, Tampa, FL, Yamaha
- Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, OR, Yamaha
- Andrew Short, Smithville, TX, Honda
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, MN, Suzuki
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, MS, Honda
- Travis Preston, Hesperia, CA, Kawasaki
- Paul Carpenter, Ithaca, NY, Honda
- Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, CA, Yamaha
- David Vuillemin, Murrieta, CA, Suzuki
- Joshua Hansen, Murrieta, CA, Yamaha
2008 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
- Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha, 209
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 175
- Andrew Short, Smithville, TX, Honda, 141
- Tim Ferry, Largo, FL., Kawasaki, 137
- Davi Millsaps, Cairo, GA., Honda, 127
- Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, CA., Yamaha, 114
- Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, OR, Yamaha, 106
- David Vuillemin, Murrieta, CA., Suzuki, 84
- Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM, 84
- Paul Carpenter, Ithaca, NY, Honda, 81