Staring Stars at Phillip Island
Honda rider Bryan Staring takes Superbike race one at Phillip Island ASBK.
Staring goes 5 in a Row
Honda rider Bryan Staring continued his winning ways in the Australian Superbike Championship winning the first of two 10-lap races at Phillip Island this weekend. Staring’s 6 second win was his fifth in a row as he firms as favourite for the title.
“We haven’t quite matched the pace of Wayne (Maxwell) and Jamie (Stauffer) in qualifying but I knew we’d have a good race bike,” said the Cougar Bourbon Honda rider. “I got a safe start and settled in for a few laps behind Wayne before I was able to make a move.
Honda secured positions 1, 2 and 3 with Maxwell and Allerton filling the podium. Suzuki wrapped up positions three through six thanks to the efforts of GSX-R1000 riders Shawn Giles, Scott Charlton and Robbie Bugden.
Craig Coxhell was the first of the Superstock-spec machines home in seventh.
The leader of the Insure My Ride Australian Supersport Championship also added a fifth win to his tally today.
Team Suzuki’s Troy Herfoss won from pole position on his GSX-R600, beating home fellow Suzuki rider Brodie Waters and Triumph’s Christian Casella.
Yamaha pilot Ben Burke made a move on the last lap to secure fourth in a tight battle pack.
Both classes will contest a second, 10-lap race tomorrow.
The second Superbike race will be telecast on Channel 7 from 11.30am tomorrow. Check your local guides.
Viking Group Australian Superbike Championship, Phillip Island, Race 1.
1. Bryan STARING (QLD/WA) / Cougar Bourbon Honda Racing
2. Wayne MAXWELL (VIC) / GAS Honda Racing / Demolition Plus
3. Glenn ALLERTON (NSW) / Valvoline Superbike
4. Shawn GILES (VIC) / Team Suzuki
5. Scott CHARLTON (NSW) / Racers Edge Performance Suzuki
6. Robert BUGDEN (QLD) / Team Mack Trucks Suzuki
7. Craig COXHELL (VIC) / CJC Racing
8. Shannon JOHNSON (VIC) / KTM Superbike Team
9. Craig McMARTIN (NSW) / North Coast V-Twins / Agip Racing
10. Kris McLAREN (VIC) / McLaren Motorsport
Insure My Ride Australian Supersport Championship, Phillip Island, Race 1.
1 . Troy HERFOSS (VIC) / Team Suzuki
2. Brodie WATERS (VIC) / Sunstate Waters
3. Christan CASELLA (VIC) / Aark Electrics / Peter Stevens M-cycles / Triumph
4. Ben BURKE (NSW)
5. Dylan MAVIN (QLD) / Mavin Industries / Jetset Alice Springs
6. Michael JONES (QLD) / California Superbike School Race Team / Yamaha
7. Aaron GOBERT (NSW) / Gobert Motorsports / Bell Helmets / Yamaha / Dynojet
8. Ryan TAYLOR (VIC) / Pakenham Yamaha / Monitor My Super
9. Des DARBY (QLD) / Aark Electrics / Peter Stevens M-cycles / Triumph
10. Andy LAWSON Jnr (QLD) / Champion’s Ride Days Race Team / Palfinger