Chad Reed on top at Toronto
Chad Reed has made a sensational return to the top step of the dais, winning his 7th AMA Supercross Championship race of the season, to mark his second consecutive victory in Toronto.
Australia’s Chad Reed has made a sensational return to the top step of the dais, winning his seventh Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship race of the 2008 season, to mark his second consecutive victory in Toronto.
After a couple of minor offs during practice and his heat race, Reed, was unstoppable in the Main Event leading the 20-lap race from start to finish.Consistently lapping half a second quicker than his rivals, Reed was out to a 10 second lead by the halfway point in the race.
As the race progressed, the track condition deteriorated and the lap times fell. With the championship title now in his sights, Reed backed off slightly and rode conservatively to ensure the race victory, and further extended his championship lead.Reed acknowledged the key to tonight’s win was riding a controlled race.
“I think this year we have been saying that each race gets tougher and tougher,” said Reed. “I have had a few weeks of ups and downs, some of it my fault, some of it out of my control, so I took it a bit cautiously. The track had a lot of ruts and you had to be smart out there. We had a great week off, and I flew home to Australia. I knew that I needed that weekend off to regroup and the plan worked perfectly. I felt great all weekend and I was happy with the way I rode.”
"The track was fun. You just really had to be smart and choose your lines carefully," Reed added.
Reed currently holds a 20 point lead over Kevin Windham with only five rounds remaining in the 16 round series. The next installment of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series, an FIM World Championship will be held at the Texas Stadium in Irving on Saturday April 5, 2008.
AMA Supercross Class Results, Toronto
- Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
- Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
- Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha
- Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM
- Tim Ferry, Dade City, Fla., Kawasaki
- Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Honda
- Charles Summey, Huntersville, N.C., Yamaha
- Jason Thomas, Melrose, Fla., Honda
AMA 2008 Supercross Class Championship Standings
- Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Yamaha, 262
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda, 242
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 190
- Davi Millsaps, Cairo, Ga., Honda, 184
- Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 151
- Joshua Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 151
- Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha, 137
- David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 123
- Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM, 110
- Paul Carpenter, Ithaca, N.Y., Honda, 107