Chad Reed takes out 2010 SuperX opener
Chad Reed has taken out the Newcastle opening round of Super X 2010.
Chad Reed Fones Home
Riding in TeamVodafone colours in front of a crowd of over 12,000, Chad Reed has taken out the first round of the Monster Energy Super X Championship in Newcastle.
US imports Josh Hansen and Justin Brayton claimed the balance of the podium spots, second and third respectively.
The Double Header race format featured in the final, which pitted riders against each other in two 12 lap heats. Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda’s Dan Reardon grabbed the first holeshot with Monster Energy / Pro Circuit’s Josh Hansen second and Chad Reed third.
The racing was bar to bar for first, second and third place at the start of the race, but a small slip up by Hansen allowed Reed to pass him. Reed then sat behind Reardon and eventually made the pass half way through the race. Hansen also overtook Reardon and began to chase Reed, but the reigning champion was too fast and held on for the win.
Reardon held on for third and CDR Rockstar Yamah’s Jay Marmont finished fourth. Second fastest qualifier also from the USA, Muscle Milk / Toyota JGRMX rider Justin Brayton, who was pushed over the berm on the first corner, made his way back through the pack to finish fifth.
Local rider Craig Anderson claimed the second holeshot in the second moto, but it was Reed who got out to an early lead with Brayton second and Reardon third. Hansen passed Reardon on the third lap and the three internationals held their position until the end with Reed throwing a huge whip to his home crowd fans once over the finish line.
Chad Reed (AUS) “First and foremost I want to thank all of the Newcastle fans for coming tonight. It has been a long term plan to have a race here and after three years it has finally happened. I felt right at home racing out there tonight and it feels great to get the win. 2010 has been a tough year for me, but I had a blast riding tonight.” OPEN Top Ten Results – Round 1
OPEN Top Ten Results – Round 1
1. Chad REED – TeamVodafone: 50
2. Josh HANSEN – Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki: 42
3. Justin BRAYTON – Muscle Milk / Toyota JGRMX: 38
4. Daniel REARDON – Cougar Bourbon Honda Thor Racing:38
5. Jay MARMONT – CDR Rockstar Yamaha: 34
6. Tye SIMMONDS – JDR Motorex KTM: 27
7. Todd WATERS – Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda:27
8. Daniel McCOY – Coastal KTM Motorex Team:27
9. Jake MOSS – Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki:27
10. Craig ANDERSON – Berry Sweet / Pro Grip / Talon / RHK / Forma: 21
LITES Top Ten Results – Round 1
1. P J LARSEN – JDR Motorex KTM: 25
2. Matt MOSS – Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 22
3. Ryan MARMONT – JDR Motorex KTM: 20
4. Kade MOSIG – Cougar Bourbon Honda Thor: 18
5. Lawson BOPPING – Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 16
6. Cody MACKIE – Kawasaki Racing Team Cool Air Conditioning:15
7. Harley QUINLAN – Yamaha: 14
8. Luke GEORGE – Monster Energy Kawasaki:12
9. Luke STYKE – AXO / Oakley / Shark / Galvin Construction: 11
10. Kirk GIBBS – Serco Yamaha:10
Michelin Development Series – Round 1
1. Dylan LONG – KTM / Thor / Motorex / Michelin / One Industries: 25
2. Jacob WRIGHT – Honda Jnr Development Team: 22
3. Luke CLOUT – SS Racing / MX Rad / Pirelli / Fox / Link / Rockstar:20
4. Jake EMANUELLI – Doyle & Shields Yamaha Bairnsdale / Fox: 18
5. Blake BLACKWELL (NSW) / Blackwell Bros Earthmoving / Demolition/Building:16
6. Corey JAMES – Helmet Warehouse / Trevor Jordan M-c / Kawasaki: 15
7. Kurt WATERMAN – Spot On Racing / Bell / Troy Lee Designs / Dragon: 14
8. Meghan RUTLEDGE – Moss Institute / Southern Highlands M-c: 12
9. Tristen CACHIA – Loosekid / Rockstar / ABS Motorcycles / Scott / CTI: 11
10. Joel WIGHTMAN: 10