Reed 2nd in San Diego SX 2012
Chad Reed holds on to second place in the 2012 AMA Supercross series.
Chad Reed Second in San Diego
TwoTwo Motorsports/Bel-Ray Racing’s Chad Reed has finished second at Round 6 of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, at San Diego’s Qualcomm Stadium tonight.
The Australian, who led his heat race from start to finish didn’t get a great start in the ‘Main Event’ but charged through the field and into second place on Lap 3 of the 20-lap contest.
As the race unfolded, Reed began to close in on race leader Ryan Villopoto and after a bar-to-bar battle with his rival, he moved into lead on Lap 18.
An aggressive Villopoto block pass saw Reed relinquish the lead on the final lap, the Honda rider happy to take second place after a solid 20-lap duel.
“I am really happy that I rode 20 solid laps tonight,” Reed said.
“Ryan (Villopoto) started to gap me on laps 9 – 11 and I found myself being lazy in the turns.
“He races for it on every inch of the racetrack so I said to myself quit being lazy and get out there and fight for this thing,” he continued.
“I was able to get back on him and make a pass but he was real aggressive and made a pass back. I have to be a little more aggressive and make things happen
“The changes that we have made through these West Coast events have been good. I am excited to be heading back to Florida with a good solid 20 lap race under my belt,” Reed added.
Reed will now return to his Florida base and prepare for Round 7 of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, the first of the East Coast events, at Arlington’s Cowboys Stadium on Saturday February 18.
Monster Energy AMA Supercross Results: San Diego
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
5. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
7. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
8. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Kawasaki
9. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki
10. Nick Wey, DeWitt, Mich., Kawasaki
Monster Energy Supercross Season Standings (after Rd 6 of 17)
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 133
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 127
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 123
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 101
5. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 78
6. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 75
7. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 72
8. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 70
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 68
10.Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 64