Staring on pole for ASBK Queensland
Bryan Staring has claimed pole position at Queensland Raceway, at of the fifth round of the 2010 Viking Group Australian Superbike Championship.
Staring, the premier class points leader, admitted he was struggling for pace early in the piece and would have been happy with a front row start.
His flying lap of the 3.12km circuit was close to perfect, and stopped the clock as the fastest of the day. The 23-year-old Gold Coast-based rider was surprised by the result and said it set him up for a good shot at race victory tomorrow.
“Before I’d even begun I’d taken myself out of the equation, after a slow day I really didn’t think I stood a chance,” said Staring. “The lap felt okay, there were a few little mistakes that felt like half a second each time but turned out to be a tenth or less – they are always much more pronounced in your mind because you only get one shot at the lap.”
“The conditions have been tough all weekend, yesterday didn’t give us too much to go on and the whole field was struggling for pace earlier in the day.The whole team has been trying really hard and we’ve finally got there with our fourth shot at it (pole position) – it’s a great feeling and a good reward to those that have worked so hard and backed us.”
The result maintains the momentum for Staring at Queensland Raceway, who recorded debut race and round wins here in June and now adds a debut pole position.
A good result tomorrow can add further weight to Staring’s claim for a maiden Australian Superbike Championship victory. He currently heads the class by 4.5 points.
Superpole Results, Viking Australian Superbike Championship Round 5, Queensland Raceway
1. Bryan STARING (QLD) / Cougar Bourbon Honda Racing 1:10.379
2. Wayne MAXWELL (VIC) / Demolition Plus GAS Honda Racing 1:10.470
3. Shannon JOHNSON (VIC) / KTM Superbike Team 1:11.262
4. Glenn ALLERTON (NSW) / Valvoline Superbike Team 1:11.300
5. Craig COXHELL (VIC) / CJC Racing 1:11.744
6. Daniel STAUFFER (QLD) / The Natural Aprilia Racing Team 1:11.850
7. Robert BUGDEN (QLD) / Team Mack Trucks Suzuki 1:11.888
8. Jamie STAUFFER (NSW) / Ducati Motologic Racing 1:12.469