All new 2010 Z1000 Kawasaki
Kawasaki have released in depth details on the 2010 Z1000.
Kawasaki Z1000 – All new for 2010
Rather than a few minor updates, the 2010 Z1000 Kawasaki is an all new machine, with both frame and engine new for 2010.
Engine size is up 10% from 943cc to 1043cc, with a corresponding increase in torque and horsepower. The all new motor features a balance shaft, but Kawasaki say they have left some “character” in the motor, presumably some level of vibration
The chassis features major changes, an all new aluminium frame with 41mm fully adjustable forks up front, and radial mounted calipers. Rear suspension is redone, the adjustable shock positioned horizontally. Seat height is now lower thanks to a new aluminium subframe.
New machined finished 5 spoke wheels, taper style handlebars, and a redesigned intrument pod are some of the other changes.
In all, a totally redesigned bike, featuring more power, better brakes and sharper handling thanks to the new chassis. On paper the 2010 Z1000 looks like a great machine, we can’t wait to ride one. So far no confirmation as to when this bike will appear in Australia, but we will keep you updated.
The internationally released pics show a couple of wild paint and trim schemes, again we can’t confirm colour availability in Aus. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for some videos from Kawasaki of the 2010 Z1000.
• Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve 1,043cc inline-four
• Bore and stroke of 77.0 x 56.0 mm
• 38mm downdraft throttle bodies
• Oval sub-throttles
• Soft rev limiter
• Crankshaft and transmission shafts are arranged in a straight line instead of a triangular layout, to maintain the design from the previous Z1000.
• The crankshaft was lowered to allow for a longer stroke without adding engine height.
• A secondary balancer, driven off a gear on the sixth web of the crankshaft, eliminates excess vibration.
• The intake system routes cool air to the airbox from ducts above the radiator shrouds.
• A resonator inside the airbox reduces noise at low rpm, and enhances intake sound at high rpm
• The exhaust system features a 4-into-2-pre-chamber-into-2 layout.
• An aluminum backbone frame specifically for the Z1000, similar in concept to the ZX-10R, allows a narrow construction.
• Lightweight and highly rigid, the frame uses the engine as a stressed member.
• The frame’s five-piece construction consists of steering stem, left and right main frames, and two cross pieces.
• The frame beams and swingarm brackets are now single die-cast pieces.
• The new frame uses four engine mounts; three mounts are rigid, the upper rear crankcase mount is rubber
• The rear sub-frame is a three-piece aluminum die-casting construction, light, strong and good for mass centralization
• The sub-frame combines form and function , negating the need for side covers
• New rear suspension positions the shock unit and linkage above the swingarm
• Visible from the outside, the horizontal monoshock contributes to the aggressive appearance
• Linkage characteristics are the same as those of a standard UNI-TRAK rear suspension
• The shock features rebound damping and spring preload adjustability
• 41mm inverted forks, adjustable compression and rebound damping, spring preload.
• The tubular handlebar is rigid-mounted, contributing to sharp, direct handling
• 300mm front petal brake discs are gripped by four-piston radial-mount calipers. (Caliper piston size is 4×30 mm)
• A radial-pump front brake master cylinder contributes to the control and feel offered by the new calipers
• The rear brake is a single piston, pin-slide caliper gripping a 250mm petal disc.
• Tilting instrument panel with multifunction LCD display behind an orange lens.
Engine Type: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
Displacement: 1043 cc
Bore & Stroke 77.20 x 50.9 mm
Compression Ratio 11.8:1
Fuel Injection DFI® with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles
Ignition TCBI Digital Advance
Final Drive X-Ring Chain
Frame Type Aluminum Backbone Rake/Trail 24.5 deg. / 103mm.
Front Suspension: 41 mm inverted cartridge fork with stepless compression and rebound damping, adjustable preload.
Rear Suspension: Horizontal monoshock with stepless rebound damping, adjustable spring preload.
Front Tire Size 120/70 ZR17
Rear Tire Size 190/50 ZR17
Wheelbase 56.7 in./1440mm.
Front Brake Type Dual 300mm petal-type rotors with radial-mount four-piston calipers
Rear Brake Type Single 250mm petal-type rotor with single-piston caliper
Fuel Tank Capacity 15.5 litres.
Seat Height 815mm.
Overall Length 2095mm.
Overall Width 805mm.
Overall Height 1085mm.
Color Pearl Stardust White, Metallic Spark Black
A couple of Youtube videos from Kawasaki about the 2010 Z1000