Phillip Island Practice – Wet Windy and Jorge
Jorge Lorenzo was fastest on Day one of Phillip Island 2010 in cold windy and wet conditions.
Phillip Island 2010 Day One Practice
Jorge Lorenzo topped the time sheets on day one at the 2010 Australian MotoGP round at Phillip Island.
In typical fashion, Phillip Island turned on extreme weather with some riders doing very few laps in the poor conditions. Ben Spies elected to do a few exploratory laps and sit the bulk of the session out.
Practice was delayed for 2 hours while track staff dealt with standing water on the racetrack. After the delayed session was run, Jorge Lorenzo showed off his championship winning skills to set fastest time, with Casey Stoner in second, and team mate Hayden in third.
JORGE LORENZO (Fiat Yamaha) 1st – 1.41.146 “Today was the first day on the bike after we won the title and I am still very happy. We can’t stop now, we have to keep going and finish this season in the best way possible, working for the future. The conditions today were really hard – wet, cold and windy. I am very happy to be so fast in rain, because it didn’t use to be this way, but we need to be prepared because it could be a hard weekend. I would like to ride in the dry, of course, but we will have to wait and see what happens.”
CASEY STONER (Ducati Team) 2nd – 1’41.480 “The conditions were difficult today and obviously we had the big delay too, which is not the ideal way to prepare. Also we would prefer a fully wet session but it started to dry towards the end and that denied us the opportunity to confirm the settings or get a full understanding of the conditions”
” Other than the wind, which made things very difficult, it was quite a successful day. We made a couple of changes and I feel we made a little improvement with the bike but again because of the conditions we weren’t able to get much of a direction. Hopefully tomorrow we get consistent weather, whatever it may be, so that we can get a proper idea of our set-up in either the wet or the dry.”
Qualifying will be telecast on OneHD and Ten from 12 or 1pm (depending on state) Saturday 16th. Check local guide.
Combined Free Practice Times
1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1’41.146
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team 1’41.480
3. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Marlboro Team 1’41.631
4. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1’41.881
5. Marco Melandri (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1’41.982
6. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda Team 1’42.271
7. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1’42.626
8. Colin Edwards (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1’43.013
9. Randy de Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 1’43.476
10. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1’43.984
11. Mika Kallio (FIN) Pramac Green Team 1’44.179
12. Hiroshi Aoyama (JPN) Interwetten-Honda MotoGP 1’44.704
13. Hector Barbera (SPA) Aspar Team 1’45.695
14. Alvaro Bautista (SPA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1’46.160
15. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Pramac Green Team 1’48.127
16. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 1’51.210
17. Ben Spies (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1’58.613