Simoncelli Fastest at Estoril Test
Marco Simoncelli has finished fastest at the post race Estoril test session.
2011 Estoril Test – Simoncelli Fastest
After a hugely disappointing race in which Marco Simoncelli didnt get halfway round the first lap, Mondays test at Estoril in Portugal was a chance to make some amends.
‘Super Sic’ completed 70 laps of the Portuguese circuit, testing a new front fork set-up as well as trying some 2012 Bridgestone tyres. At the end of the day he was sitting on top of the sheets, a tenth faster than rival Jorge Lorenzo.
Casey Stoner shrugged off his back pain issues with a 3rd fastest result.
Marco Simoncelli (1st 1′ 36″ 211 – 70 laps)
“To get back on the bike and complete such a positive test, setting the fastest time, after the disappointment of yesterday actually makes me even more angry. What can I say other than it was important and it would have been much worse to go straight home – at least this way I can do so feeling a little more happy. We did a good job today working on the forks and trying the new 2012 version Bridgestone tyres as well as a few other things. It was a positive day and now I can go home happy and looking forward to the next race at Le Mans, where I want to properly get over the disappointment of yesterday.”
Jorge Lorenzo (2nd 1’36”.316 – 91 laps)
“I’m very happy with the test we have done today. Before I was not feeling as safe and as comfortable going into corners as I did last year and in 2009. Now we have found something with the chassis set up that works much better so I feel comfortable again. I think we can be faster with the corners now so I am looking forward to going to France to keep fighting for more podiums.”
Casey Stoner (3rd 1’36’.602, 49 laps)
“We haven’t had a lot to test, there aren’t really any new parts, we tried a different system on the clutch which was fine but not actually improving on what we have. We tried a few Bridgestone tyres with a new construction and compound, they were definitely an improvement especially on the left side, so that went well
The beginning of the day my back was really sore and difficult to ride with but then it eased a little as the day progressed, so I hope it continues to get better”.
The next round of MotoGP will be held at Le Mans, France on the 15th May 2011.
1. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1’36.211
2. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Yamaha Factory Racing 1’36.316
3. Casey Stoner (AUS) Repsol Honda Team 1’36.602
4. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1’36.850
5. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Ducati Team 1’37.382
6. Colin Edwards (USA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1’37.410
7. Ben Spies (USA) Yamaha Factory Racing 1’37.421
8. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Repsol Honda Team 1’37.460
9. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati Team 1’37.463
10. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 1’37.679
11. Hiroshi Aoyama (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1’38.032
12. Karel Abraham (CZE) Cardion AB Motoracing 1’38.087
13. Toni Elias (SPA) LCR Honda MotoGP 1’38.412
14. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Pramac Racing Team 1’38.633